1/2 Photos of Crushed Tomatoes (Canning)
1 hr 20 mins
A very simple recipe to use when canning your tomatoes. I didn't see anything posted on 'Zaar for a recipe like this, so I thought I would post how I prepare tomatoes. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Dip tomatoes in boiling water for 30 to 60 seconds; then dip into ice water. If you have alot of tomatoes to do, I've found that it makes the job easier to boil water in one large kettle, place the tomatoes in another large kettle and pour the boiling water over them. Allow the tomatoes to stand for 2 minutes; then drain and place in your cold water bath.
- 2Remove the core and peel the skins.
- 3Cut into quarters.
- 4Place some of the quartered tomatoes in a large kettle and crush them with a potato masher, while heating rapidly.
- 5Gradually add the remaining quartered tomatoes, stirring constantly.
- 6After all the tomatoes are added, boil gently for 5 minutes.
- 7Fill clean, hot quart-sized canning jars with hot tomatoes, leaving 1/2-inch headspace.
- 8Add 2 T. lemon juice, 1 teaspoons salt, and 1 teaspoons sugar to each quart jar.
- 9Remove excess air from the jar by running a spatula or bubble freer between the tomatoes and the side of the jar.
- 10Wipe jar rims and cap with properly treated lids. Screw on the bands and process in a boiling water canner for 50 minutes.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crushed Tomatoes (Canning)
Serving Size: 1 (233 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 66.9
- Calories from Fat 6
- Total Fat 0.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 599.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.1 g
- Sugars 10.1 g
- Protein 3.0 g