A very simple recipe to use when canning your tomatoes. I didn't see anything posted on 'Zaar for a recipe like this, so I thought I would post how I prepare tomatoes. Enjoy!
- Dip tomatoes in boiling water for 30 to 60 seconds; then dip into ice water. If you have alot of tomatoes to do, I've found that it makes the job easier to boil water in one large kettle, place the tomatoes in another large kettle and pour the boiling water over them. Allow the tomatoes to stand for 2 minutes; then drain and place in your cold water bath.
- Remove the core and peel the skins.
- Cut into quarters.
- Place some of the quartered tomatoes in a large kettle and crush them with a potato masher, while heating rapidly.
- Gradually add the remaining quartered tomatoes, stirring constantly.
- After all the tomatoes are added, boil gently for 5 minutes.
- Fill clean, hot quart-sized canning jars with hot tomatoes, leaving 1/2-inch headspace.
- Add 2 T. lemon juice, 1 teaspoons salt, and 1 teaspoons sugar to each quart jar.
- Remove excess air from the jar by running a spatula or bubble freer between the tomatoes and the side of the jar.
- Wipe jar rims and cap with properly treated lids. Screw on the bands and process in a boiling water canner for 50 minutes.