Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
I wanted to make mashed potatoes but I wanted something different too. These are so easy to make and taste like you worked hard...so good!
- 2 lbs unpeeled whole heirloom potatoes
- 3 ounces crumbled gorgonzola or 3 ounces blue cheese
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, toasted, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups packed baby arugula
- salt and pepper
- Boil potatoes until they are just tender, 20-40 minutes (depending on variety); drain and then return them to pot.
- Using a large wooden spoon, coarsely crush potatoes in pot.
- Stir in cheese, nuts, oil and arugula and toss to blend.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
It may have been that I couldn't find heirloom potatoes and I had to use russets, but I found the mixture to be fairly dry. I didn't want to add more oil, so mixed a little ranch and sour cream to use as a topper. However, even without the topper, the flavors were great!
We enjoyed these potatoes. The gorgonzola is a fantastic and unexpected twist. There were six people at dinner tonight and they had varying comments -- some thought too much arugula, others thought too much cheese. But they all agreed that they liked it. Thanks so much PBShakes for a new take on mashed potatoes -- please post more of your recipes. Made, enjoyed and reviewed for Pick a Chef.