1/2 Photos of Crunchy Toffee Chocolate Chip Cookies
I played with a King Arthur flour recipe and got these crunchy buttery delights. Yum! You can use all whole wheat flour if you don't have barley flour but the barely flour gives it a milder taste. To ensure crunchiness, be sure to bake these cookies thoroughly; they should be golden brown all over, without any hint of softness in the center. They also stay rounded and don't spread much.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil (I used Enova)
- 3/4 cup sugar (I used the latter) or 3/4 cup Splenda granular (I used the latter)
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar (I used the latter) or 1/3 cup Splenda brown sugar blend, packed (I used the latter)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 -2 teaspoon instant coffee (optional)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup barley flour or 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2-3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup toffee pieces
- 1/2 cup pecans, finely chopped (optional, I didn't use) (optional)
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F Lightly grease 2 baking sheets.
- 2Beat the butter, oil sugars, vanilla, salt and instant coffee in a large bowl until smooth.
- 3Beat in the vinegar, egg, baking soda and baking powder until well combined.
- 4Stir in the flours until well combined.
- 5Stir in the chocolate chips, toffee bits and pecans, if desired. *The dough wil appear oily.
- 6Scoop out 1 inch balls and place on baking sheets. They don't need to be spaced far apart because they don't spread much. *I tried flattening some but didn't like them as much.
- 7Bake 14-16 minutes, reversing trays half way through, until golden brown all over with no hint of softness in the center.
- 8Remove from oven and allow cookies to cool 5 minutes on baking sheets before transferring to racks or paper bags to cool completely.
Browse Our Top Drop Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crunchy Toffee Chocolate Chip Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (32 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 30
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 133.3
- Calories from Fat 57
- Total Fat 6.3 g
- Saturated Fat 2.0 g
- Cholesterol 10.2 mg
- Sodium 83.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 11.9 g
- Protein 1.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: