Top Review by Aunt Cookie
These were great! We didn't have enough sweet potatoes on hand, so we used 10 oz. sweet potatoes and 10 oz. russets. We also accidentally left out the jalapeno, so these weren't as spicy as written in the recipe. Despite my oversights and accidental omissions, we really enjoyed these and are certain to make them again. They were so flavorful - I especially liked the addition of whole cumin seed. Thanks for posting!
- 21 ounces sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 green chili, seeded and very finely diced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garam masala
Directions See How It's Made
- Put the potatoes into a large pan of boiling salted water and cook for 3-4 minutes, or until almost cooked, but still a bit firm in the middle. Drain well and leave to cool.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan. Add the potatoes and fry over a medium heat for about 5 minutes, turning from time to time until a light golden brown. Sprinkle over the cumin seeds and diced chili, and continue to fry for 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in the ground cumin, cayenne and turmeric. Fry for another 5 minutes, tossing and turning the potatoes until they build up a nice spicy crust. Season before serving, dusted with garam masala.