1/2 Photos of Crunchy Speckled Bubble Bars or Borugula (Murmura) Laddu
Basically the bars are formed in a pan like rice crispy treats and the Laddu are balls formed of the same mixture. Mamra is puffed rice with just a touch of salt from India. I found it in a great new market and am finding new recipes to use it. If you use Rice Crispies add just a little salt. It will not be the same, but should work well. With peanuts added it tastes like a crunchy PayDay or Peanut Bar. Variations: Peanuts, cashews, roasted edamame, pretzels, rice crackers, wasabi peas, coconut, raisins, almonds, pecans etc etc.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 473.18 ml rice, puffed & toasted (Mamra, Murmura, Mumra, Indian Puffed Rice, Rice Crispies if you don't have access to the other)
- 118.29 ml grated jaggery (brown sugar)
- 118.29 ml water (lemon or lime juice is nice variation, then leave out the cardamom)
- 2.46 ml cardamom powder
- 118.29 ml toasted sesame seeds (optional OR other Variations -- Peanuts, cashews, roasted edamame, pretzels, rice crackers, wasabi p)
- 1If the Mamra is not toasted, place in a pan in a 200F oven for about an hour. The color may change some.
- 2Cut into 2"x 1' bars and allow to cool completely.
- 3In a heavy bottom pan add 1/2 cup water to the jaggery. Cook on medium-high heat. Jaggery melts and begins to concentrate. When it starts foaming, it has reached the consistency we want for this recipe. To test, add few drops of jaggery syrup to the cold water. When pushed with fingers, if the syrup can be rolled to a round and keeps share without melting in spite of tilting the plate to different directions, it is done and the syrup is ready. This whole process takes about 15 to 20 minutes.
- 4Turn off the heat and, constantly stirring, add murmura. Also sprinkle in cardamom powder and add the toasted sesame if you are using it. Within one or two minutes, murmura starts to soak up the syrup and comes together in to dry mass.
- 5Remove the pot from the stove top to counter top.
- 6Place in a silicone pan or just form on a silicone sheet (or a greased pan), let cool. Then cut into 2"x1" pieces.
- 8Wait for about 5 minutes for murmura-jaggery mixture to cool down and then start making laddus. Take a spoonful of mixture into wet hands and press gently into round shape. Keep a bowl of cold water on the side. Dip your hands in-between laddu making to keep hands unsticky and cool.
- 9Variations: Peanuts, cashews, roasted edamame, pretzels, rice crackers, wasabi peas, coconut, raisins, almonds, pecans etc etc.
- 10Store in a Container.
Browse Our Top Low Cholesterol Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Low Cholesterol Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crunchy Speckled Bubble Bars or Borugula (Murmura) Laddu
Serving Size: 1 (725 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2448.7
- Calories from Fat 521
- Total Fat 57.9 g
- Saturated Fat 8.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 21.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 439.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 21.9 g
- Sugars 99.8 g
- Protein 45.5 g