1/1 Photo of Crunchy Shrimp Wontons With Green-Onion Dipping Sauce
Recipe courtesy Gloria Bradley, Naperville, IL. who won a trip to Las Vegas for this recipe. Be careful while eating these wontons as they gush out juice as you bite into them!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro, plus
- 24 sprigs fresh cilantro, leaves and tender stems
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger, plus
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 24 large shell-on shrimp (20 to 24 per lb.)
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- 24 square wonton wrappers
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons orange marmalade
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped green onions
- 1In a large bowl, whisk together 1/2 cup soy sauce, chopped cilantro, lemon zest, 2 tablespoons ginger, and 1 tablespoons sesame oil.
- 2Peel shrimp, leaving tails on, and devein. Add to soy mixture and marinate, covered, 15 to 20 minutes at room temperature.Drain shrimp in a colander, spread out on paper towels, and pat dry. (I make a horizontal slit, 3/4 of the way through the shrimp, in the middle of the curve of the shrimp so that it will straighten out.).
- 3Pour oil into a deep, heavy pot to a depth of 3 inches and heat to 375°F Meanwhile, spread out wonton wrappers. Working with one wrapper at a time, put several cilantro leaves and stems along wrapper edge nearest you. Top them with a shrimp, arranging shrimp lengthwise so that tail extends beyond wrapper. Fold the wrapper edge opposite the tail over shrimp. Brush far edge of wrapper with water and, starting with near edge, roll wrapper loosely around shrimp, forming a package. Press seam firmly to seal.
- 4Preheat oven to 200°F and put a shallow rack in a baking pan. When oil reaches 375°F fry wontons in several batches so as not to crowd them, flipping midway through cooking, until medium golden brown, 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. If shrimp begin to brown to quickly, reduce temperature. Lift shrimp out with tongs, draining excess oil, and transfer to baking pan; keep warm in oven.
- 5In a small bowl, whisk together 1/2 cup soy sauce, 1 tablespoon sesame oil, the orange and lemon juices, marmalade, green onion, and 2 teaspoons ginger. Serve wontons hot, with dipping sauce on the side.
Browse Our Top < 60 Mins Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All < 60 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crunchy Shrimp Wontons With Green-Onion Dipping Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (864 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 52.6
- Calories from Fat 12
- Total Fat 1.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 12.3 mg
- Sodium 454.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 1.5 g
- Protein 2.7 g