Recipe by Manami
Grand Prize Winner/Entrees in the first annual Cooking Light Ultimate Reader Recipe Contest, where she received a $10,000 prize and a $5000 family vacation. Courtesy of Karen Tedesco, Webster Groves, Mo. "The sauce that accompanies the shrimp is one of my favorites. I've used it as a dipping sauce for vegetables, and to top grilled chicken and salmon." Please ignore the long laundry list of ingredients, the cooking is easy.
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon grated peeled fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 cup uncooked couscous
- 1 1⁄2 cups reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup chopped green onion
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds, toasted
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 20 large shrimp, peeled and deveined (3/4 lb)
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup panko breadcrumbs (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated peeled fresh ginger
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cups trimmed watercress
Directions See How It's Made
- To prepare sauce:.
- Bring 1 cup orange juice to a boil in a small saucepan over medium-hig heat; cook until reduced to 1/4 cup(about 10 minutes).
- Remove from heat; cool completely.
- Stir in 1 tablespoon cilantro and the next seven ingredients(through red pepper), set aside.
- To prepare couscous:.
- Place couscous in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat; cook 3 minutes or until toasted, stirring constantly.
- Add 1-1/2 cups broth, 1/2 cup orange juice, and 1/2 teaspoon salt; bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat, cover and let stand 5 minutes.
- Fluff with a fork, add onions, almonds and butter, stirring until butter melts.
- Keep warm.
- To prepare shrimp:.
- Combine shrimp and egg white in a large bowl, tossing to coat.
- Combine the panko, 1 teaspoon cilantro, 1/2 teaspoon ginger and black pepper in a large zip-top plastic bag.
- Add shrimp to the bag, and seal and shake to coat.
- Heat oil in a large nonyick skillet over medium-high heat; arrange shrimp in a single layer in pan.
- Cook for 2 minutes on each side or until done.
- Place 3/4 cup of couscous on each of 4 plates; top each with 1/2 cup watercress and 5 shrimp. Drizzle each with 1-1/2 tablespoons sauce.