1/2 Photos of Crunchy Sesame Seed Candy
From "The Jewish Holiday Cookbook" by Gloria Kaufer Greene. For the best results, try to make it on a cool dry day.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Coat a 9-inch-square baking pan or dish with oil or non-stick cooking spray; set aside.
- 2Put the sesame seeds into an ungreased 10-inch skillet (preferably one with a non-stick surface) and stir them over medium-high heat for about 5 to 10 minutes, or until they are lightly browned and aromatic.
- 3Temporarily transfer the seeds (they will be hot) to a bowl, making sure that none are left in the skillet; set aside.
- 4Put the honey, brown sugar, cinnamon, and ginger into the skillet and mix them well.
- 5Slowly bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly.
- 6As soon as the entire mixture comes to a full rolling boil, cook it vigorously for exactly 2 minutes.
- 7Remove the skillet from the heat and immediately stir in the sesame seeds until well mixed.
- 8Quickly turn out the hot mixture into the prepared pan and use a metal spatula that has been dipped into cold water to press the candy into a very smooth and even layer.
- 9Cool the candy in the pan for l5 minutes, or until it is solid but still lukewarm.
- 10Run the spatula around the edge of the candy to loosen it.
- 11Then turn out the whole slab of candy onto a wooden board or other cutting surface.
- 12Use a sharp knife to cut the large square of warm candy into very small squares, diamonds, or rectangles.
- 13Cool the candies completely; then store them in an airtight container at room temperature.
- 14If a professional look is desired, roll each cooked candy in a small piece of stiff cellophane and twist the ends.
Browse Our Top Candy Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crunchy Sesame Seed Candy
Serving Size: 1 (35 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 161.7
- Calories from Fat 80
- Total Fat 8.9 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 4.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 15.4 g
- Protein 3.2 g