Recipe by Rhiannon and Matt
Freshly marinated mushrooms with lettuce and homemade croutons. A tasty side dish for 4 from Charmaine Solomon's Complete Vegetarian Cookbook. Despite the number of steps it is surprisingly easy.
- 2 slices whole grain bread
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 125 g button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons wine vinegar
- 4 tablespoons salad oil
- salt & pepper
- 1 cos lettuce, washed, dried & torn
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 180c.
- Trim crusts from bread & cut bread into small cubes.
- Gently fry garlic in the olive oil without browning.
- Toss, stir or shake so that all surfaces come in contact with the garlic oil.
- Place on a foil lined tray & bake for about 8 minutes or until a pale gold color.
- Remove & allow to cool & crisp.
- Combine vinegar & oil, salt & pepper & marinate the mushrooms for a few minutes.
- Place the lettuce into a salad bowl, add the mushrooms & dressing, then toss well.
- Add your garlic croutons and toss again.
- Serve immediately.