Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
No kidding - probably the best salad you've ever eaten! Even the kids love it.
- 2 heads romaine lettuce
- 1⁄2 head broccoli
- 5 -6 green onions (scallions)
- 2 packets ramen noodles (any flavor)
- 1 cup walnut pieces
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3 -4 tablespoons soy sauce
- Wash romaine and cut into bite size pieces.
- Roll up in a clean dry towel and refrigerate for several hours.
- (This makes the lettuce super crisp) Slice the green onion into thin rings.
- Chop the broccoli, stems and flowers, into small pieces.
- Break the ramen noodles up into small pieces.
- (I leave it in the bag and whack it with a kitchen mallet.) Remove flavor envelope from ramen packet and throw away.
- Melt butter in a large deep skillet.
- Add ramen noodles and walnuts and stir and cook over medium heat until light brown.
- Be sure to watch carefully and stir constantly- they will burn easily.
- Turn out onto a double thickness of paper towels and cool.
- Put romaine into a LARGE bowl and add broccoli, onions, ramen noodles and walnuts.
- Mix dressing ingredients together and add to salad.
- You make not want to use it all- I don't but some people like"wetter" salads than I do.
- Use your own taste as a guideline.
Yummy, yummy, yummy!! Sauteing the noodles and walnuts in butter made them so flavorful! And the dressing has a teriffic sweet-tart mix. This is just so easy to make and it truly is delicious. Thanks suzyq!
They were indeed crunchy(thanx for the tip on preparing lettuce)! The flavour of the walnut and ramen in butter was something new for us, and the salad dressing was refreshing too. Thank you for sharing the recipe! It's a great summer salad.
This was such a surprise. The salad was crunchy allright, and the flavors blended perfectly. I used about half the dressing. Will make again soon! Thanks