I use my Candied Walnuts Candied Walnuts which gives this salad an extra crunchy sweetness Replacing the cinnamon with nutmeg.A food processor used to slice the cabbage and onions makes this a very quick salad to make.
Candied Walnuts (Recipe 91909)
- 1 cup walnuts
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 -2 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg (optional)
- 1 fresh lemon, juice of
- 1⁄2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons celery seeds
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro (or parsley)
- 1 tablespoon Chinese hot mustard (or Dijon)
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 1 sweet onion, finely chopped
- 16 ounces red cabbage, finely sliced
- 16 ounces green cabbage, finely sliced
- Whisk all dressing ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Add onion and cabbages to dressing tossing to coat. Chill one hour to overnight.
- Candied Walnuts:.
- In a heavy bottom pan heat to medium high heat.
- Place nuts and butter, when butter is melted and nuts are coated with the butter sprinkle sugar and nutmeg over nuts stirring till carmelized. Toss in salad.
Gosh, this is a wonderful coleslaw Rita! I did omit the celery seeds, and I used Dijon mustard, I also added in 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder into the dressing, I did not have any candied walnuts so I used toasted, also I used green onions in place of sweet onion, as I have tons in my garden to use up, thanks for sharing this great recipe hon!...Kitten:)