Recipe by Sharon123
Instead of throwing away any stale bread, try this recipe for crunchy croutons. Enjoy on salads, on top of casseroles, soups, as stuffing for veggies or fish or meat. I have included variations too!
- 1⁄2 loaf sliced bread (best if bread is slightly stale)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, melted (butter or margarine)
- 1 (1 ounce) envelope dry ranch dressing mix
- 1 (1 ounce) envelopedry italian herb salad dressing mix or 1 (1 ounce) envelopecaeser salad dressing mix or 1 (1 ounce) envelopebuttermilk salad dressing mix
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut crust from bread and discard the crust.
- Brush both sides of each slice of bread with olive oil, melted butter or margarine.
- Slice bread into 1/2-inch strips; turn and cut crosswise into 1/2-inch cubes.
- Place bread cubes in a plastic zipper bag; sprinkle with dry salad dressing mix to act as dry seasoning. Securely seal bag and shake, coating bread cubes with dry salad dressing mix.
- Spread cubes flat on baking sheet. Preheat oven to 325°F Bake for 20 to 30 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from oven and cool on baking sheet.
- Note: For bigger croutons, use "Texas Toast" style bread and slice into larger 3/4-inch cubes.