Recipe by Chicagoland Chef du Jour
This makes a great meatless meal, a lovely luncheon or dinner salad when topped with a grilled & sliced chicken breast. I tend to like a tangier dressing so I use less oil than vinegar. Feel free to adjust to your taste. The amount of added veggies, fruits & nuts can be increased as well. I recently discovered that by adding sugar snap peas & seedless cucumbers it has a more "Asian" flair to it. Enjoy! This can be made a day ahead and tossed with the dressing before serving. Prep time does not included grilling chicken breast or shrimp. If serving as a side salad, this will serve up 8-10+.
Top Review by Catherine B.
I tripled this recipe for our pool party and our guests loved it. I substituted one bag of Broccoli Slaw for one bag of coleslaw to add color and texture. To keep the toasted Ramen noodles crunchy, I added them at the last minute before serving. So glad we had some leftover for my lunch! Great recipe!
- 453.59 g shredded coleslaw mix
- 1 bunch green onion, sliced with tops
- 118.29 ml roasted sunflower seeds
- 118.29 ml cashew halves
- 118.29 ml slivered almonds
- 85.04 g oriental-flavor instant ramen noodles, reserve seasoning packet
- 59.14-118.29 ml grated carrot
- 1 apple, with peels, diced
- 118.29 ml sweetened cranberries
- 118.29-236.59 ml seedless cucumber, quartered, peels on
- 118.29-236.59 ml sugar snap pea, trimmed and halved
- 59.14 ml radicchio, for color (optional)
- 2 grilled chicken breasts, 1/2 per person (optional)
- seasoning packet from soup
- 59.14 ml canola oil
- 59.14 ml sugar
- 118.29 ml cider vinegar or 118.29 ml rice wine vinegar or 118.29 ml white vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix all veggies, nuts and fruits together.
- Break up DRY noodles (**do not boil) and add to veggie mix before serving.
- Make dressing. Whisk together all the ingredients listed, until sugar dissolves. Set aside if making ahead.
- At this point you can refrigerate overnight.
- Toss with dressing, serve and top with chicken or shrimp, if desired.