Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
I haven't tried this one yet, but it's a local favorite that was published in our town newspaper. Sounds wonderful!
- Mash potatoes with salt, milk, onion salt and 1/4 cup butter.
- Chill until firm.
- Cut cheese into 1 inch cubes.
- Shape mashed potatoes around the cheese cubes into 2 1/2" balls.
- Roll in corn flake crumbs.
- Brush with remaining /14 cup melted butter and place on slightly-greased cookie sheets.
- Bake 20 minutes at 350* or until heated through.
Hello DuChick; I reduced the recipe to make only 1/4 of the recipe. The potato balls turned out absolutely great. The cheese melted just perfectly. Served them with sour cream and also some ketchup. I added some granulated garlic powder and some dried dill weed. I did add more melted butter to sprinkle over the potato balls before baking in the oven. Thank you for posting this recipe. The same recipe came out in our local paper on June 17, 2008. Regards, "Uncle Bill"
In theory I think these should be great, mine however, were not. We couldn't taste the cheese at all. And the potatoes themselves were bland. I'm going to keep this in my cookbook, but make a note to myself to add some savory to the actual potatoes, use much larger, sharper cheese cubes, and bake longer. Thanks!
I roughly adjusted the amounts to use what I had left over. The result was very tasty and the whole (very fussy) family enjoyed them. This is one I will use time and time again.