Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A great coffee cake recipe that uses some traditional ingredients but in addition to those adds Post Select Grains Crunchy Pecan Cereal. It's Baked in a 9-inch springform pan and drizzled with caramel sauce....Hope you enjoy.
- 1 1⁄2 cups Post Selects great grains crunchy pecan cereal, divided
- 1 cup chopped pecans, divided
- 1⁄3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 3⁄4 cup butter, divided (One and a half sticks)
- 2 medium tart green apples, peeled,cored and thinly sliced (about two cups)
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1 (8 ounce) container sour cream
- 20 caramels, unwrapped
- 2 tablespoons half-and-half
- Heat oven to 350.
- Mix one cup cereal, one-half cup pecans, brown sugar and cinnamon in large bowl for pecan mixture;set aside.
- Mix remaining one-half cup cereal and one-third cup flour in medium bowl.
- Cut in 1/4 cup of the butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir in 3/4 cup of the pecan mixture to form streusel crumb mixture.
- Set both mixtures aside.
- Toss apple slices with lemon juice;set aside.
- Mix One and three-quarters cups flour,baking powder and baking soda and salt in medium bowl.
- Beat remaining 1/2 cup butter,granulated sugar and vanilla in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until well blended.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add flour mixture alternately with sour cream until blended;beating on low speed.
- Microwave the caramels and half and half in small microwavable bowl on HIGH for one to two minutes or until caramels are melted.
- Stir;set aside.
- Spread one half of the batter into a greased 9-ich springform pan;sprinkle with reserved pecan mixture.
- Layer apple slices on top of that and then drizzle with one-quarter cup of the caramel sauce.
- Gently spread on top of that the remaining batter.
- Top with reserved streusel crumb mixture.
- Bake for ten minutes at 350 degrees.
- Sprinkle with remaining one half cup pecans.
- Bake 45 minutes at 350 degrees or until cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Drizzle with remaining caramel sauce.
- Cool for one hour.
- Remove from pan.