Recipe by Vols Fan
This was the recipe of the day on the RealAge website. Great salads don't have to be just a summer thing and this one seems perfect for fall and winter. The cheddar cheese and pecan pieces, along with giving you some calcium and protein, complement the pear and celery flavors nicely. (Or you can try parmesan cheese and toasted walnuts for an Italian twist.)
Top Review by *Parsley*
Excellent salad. Its tasty, colorful and crunchy. I made this exactly according to the recipe and loved it. I think you could use any firm white cheese for this and it would still be great. Thanx for posting!
- 4 stalks celery, trimmed and cut in half crosswise
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar or 2 tablespoons pear vinegar or 2 tablespoons raspberry vinegar or 2 tablespoons other fruit vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 ripe pears, preferably red Bartlett, diced
- 1 cup finely diced white cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans, toasted in a skillet over low-medium heat for 2-4 minutes
- fresh ground pepper
- 6 large lettuce leaves, use more if chopping
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak celery in a bowl of ice water for 15 minutes. Drain and pat dry. Cut into 1/2-inch pieces.
- Whisk vinegar, honey, and salt in a large bowl until blended.
- Add pears; gently stir to coat.
- Add the celery, cheese, and pecans; stir to combine. Season with pepper.
- Divide the lettuce leaves among six plates and top with a portion of salad. Serve at room temperature or chilled.