Prep 30 mins
Cook 11 mins
An old recipe for super-crunchy peanut butter cookies.
Make and share this Crunchy Peanut-Butter Cookies With Shredded Wheat recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup shortening or 1 cup margarine
- 1 cup chunky peanut butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, unsifted
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups shredded wheat, crushed
- 1⁄2-2⁄3 cup coarsely-chopped peanuts
- Mix together the butter, peanut butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar until creamy.
- Add eggs and vanilla and beat until light.
- Sift the flour with the soda and salt; stir into creamed mixture until well blended.
- Lightly mix in the shredded wheat and peanuts.
- Drop rounded teaspoonfuls of batter, about 2 inches apart, on ungreased cookie sheets. (This makes rather ragged cookies, so I like to roll them into balls first, but little pieces of shredded wheat DO stab a bit!) Using the tines of a fork, press dough flat in each direction to make a crisscross pattern on top of each cookie.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Makes about 8 dozen cookies.