Recipe by sugarpea
After many trials, this is the best peanut butter cookie I've tasted. Just a bit different than many of the others but the shortening used does make for a different cookie; crisp and crunchie. As with all hand-formed cookies, kids love to make them.
Top Review by Johnsdeere
This is the best peanut butter cookie recipe I've ever had. I've made these for years courtesy of my 1996 Betty Crocker cookbook. I get rave reviews for these cookies every time I make them. Everyone should have this recipe in their recipe box. Try these, you won't be sorry. I'm happy to see it on here. :)
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup peanut butter
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- granulated sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream sugars, peanut butter, shortening, butter and egg.
- Stir in remaining ingredients except granulated sugar.
- Cover and refrigerate about 2 hours or until firm.
- Roll dough into 1 1/4" balls; place about 3" apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Flatten in crisscross pattern with fork dipped in sugar.
- Bake at 375°, 9-10 minutes or until light brown.
- Cool 5 minutes and then remove from cookie sheet.