Prep 2 mins
Cook 30 mins
I tasty breakfast dish that uses the "super food" quinoa. Quinoa's protein content is very high, making it great vegetarians and vegans. It also contains a balanced set of essential amino acids for making it an unusually complete protein source and is a good source of dietary fiber and phosphorus. Quinoa is gluten-free and high in magnesium and iron. What a better way to start the day!!
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup frozen peach slices
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 pecan halves, toasted
- Combine all ingredients in saucepan over medium high heat.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to a low simmer. Cover and cook for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to sit for an additional 15 minutes.
- Top with toasted pecans and serve.
This recipe just didn't taste much very peachy to me. However, I think it has great potential. I am going to try it using peach nectar for the water. Mayby pineapple juice and pineapple chunks or apple juice and apples.
This is pretty tasty. I had a fresh nectarine on hand, so I cut that up instead this time. But, I'm sure I'll use the frozen peaches later. I like keeping them on hand. Quinoa is not one of my favorites, but I like having good recipes so I can get more of it in my diet. I added more milk and brown sugar after it was done cooking to suit my tastes. The combination of vanilla and cinnamon really masked the flavor of the quinoa for me. Thank you for this recipe. It is a keeper.