1/1 Photo of Crunchy Part of a Cadbury's Crunchie Bar
Cadbury's Crunchie Bars are one of my favorite candy bars. They are also my dentist's favorite candy bar, because if I eat enough of these I keep him in business. This is a Nigella Lawson recipe, from her book How to Be a Domestic Goddess. She calls it cinder toffee, but for me it will always be the crunchy part of the Crunchy Bar.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Grease an 8 inch square pan with butter.
- 2Off the heat (that means on the counter), mix the sugar and the syrup in a heavy-bottomed saucepan (use a pretty big saucepan, you'll thank me later).
- 3Now put the pan over a medium to low heat and simmer for 3-4 minutes (Nigella bases this on using an 8-inch diameter saucepan).
- 4The mixture is ready to come off the heat when it's a thick, bubbling bunch of gook, the color of light sand and no darker -- don't let it get any darker than that, or you'll end up with burnt and smelly sugar goop!
- 5Take the stuff off the heat and quickly whisk in the baking soda.
- 6Watch the caramel foam up like something out of a sci-fi film (this is the part where you thank me for telling you to use a large pot).
- 7Pour the foamy stuff into the pan and leave it to set.
- 8This will take several hours.
- 9Be patient.
- 10You can try and cut it into squares, but it will be a fruitless task.
- 11Best bet is to just bash it into a bunch of different shaped pieces.
- 12This is good frustration therapy.
- 13You can dip the pieces into melted chocolate to make your own Cadbury's Crunchy bars, or you could fold splinters of this into either homemade or bought vanilla icecream for honeycomb ice cream.
Browse Our Top Candy Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Candy Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crunchy Part of a Cadbury's Crunchie Bar
Serving Size: 1 (15 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 51.8
- Calories from Fat 0
- Total Fat 0.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 238.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 10.8 g
- Protein 0.0 g