Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
This unusual but healthy chicken recipe is from the "Dietwise" column of the Thursday magazine dated Dec 25-31'03. I hope you enjoy it!
- 3 pieces chicken breasts, de-boned and halved
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 100 g quick-cooking oatmeal
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 egg whites
- Marinate the chicken pieces with lemon juice and 1/4 tsp salt.
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- In a bowl, combine together oatmeal, chili powder, black pepper powder and the remaining salt.
- In another bowl, lightly whip an egg white with 1 tbsp water.
- Drain chicken well, dip into egg white and then into the oatmeal mixture to coat each piece evenly.
- Place on a well-greased tray.
- Bake for 20 minutes on one side.
- Turn onto the other side and bake for 15 minutes on the other side until the chicken pieces are well browned.
- Serve hot with tomato or chili sauce.
This was really delicious and tender. I used 2 skinless breasts and reduced the egg to 1 egg white, which was more than enough. I used lemon pepper sesoning instead of just pepper in the crumb mix for added zing!
This was a surprisingly delicious recipe ! The ingredients sound so simple, but the result is so yummy ! My only addition was some garlic powder in the oatmeal coating mix. It says to serve with tomato or chili sauce, but I honestly found it to be tasty enough to eat “as is”, just like fried chicken. I will definitely be making this one frequently !