Recipe by fluffernutter
Savory and crunchy and super nutritious, this crust is a great base for Russian Carrot Tart, spinach quiche, butternut squash and leek tart, and other vegetable or cheese tarts. The recipe is from The Enchanted Broccoli Forest by Mollie Katzen.
Top Review by carole in orlando
Very nice crust! I used half wholewheat and half white flour. I used pecans and Land O Lakes soft baking butter. I made this crust for recipe #44643 Zucchini Quiche. It was a nice compliment to the quiche. Thanks, I will use this again. Carole in Orlando
- 1⁄2 cup minced nuts (pecans, walnuts,and almonds work well)
- 1 dash salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups unbleached flour (or a combination of white and whole wheat)
- 4 tablespoons cold butter, cut into bits
- 3 -5 tablespoons ice water
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the nuts, salt and flour in a medium bowl or in a food processor fitted with the metal blade. Cut in the butter with a pastry blender. Drizzle in water and mix until dough holds a ball.
- St dough on a sheet of plastic wrap or waxed paper. Top with another sheet and roll into a circle. Fit into pie plate and fill.