Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
Savory and crunchy and super nutritious, this crust is a great base for Russian Carrot Tart, spinach quiche, butternut squash and leek tart, and other vegetable or cheese tarts. The recipe is from The Enchanted Broccoli Forest by Mollie Katzen.
- 1⁄2 cup minced nuts (pecans, walnuts,and almonds work well)
- 1 dash salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups unbleached flour (or a combination of white and whole wheat)
- 4 tablespoons cold butter, cut into bits
- 3 -5 tablespoons ice water
- Combine the nuts, salt and flour in a medium bowl or in a food processor fitted with the metal blade. Cut in the butter with a pastry blender. Drizzle in water and mix until dough holds a ball.
- St dough on a sheet of plastic wrap or waxed paper. Top with another sheet and roll into a circle. Fit into pie plate and fill.
Very nice crust! I used half wholewheat and half white flour. I used pecans and Land O Lakes soft baking butter. I made this crust for recipe #44643 Zucchini Quiche. It was a nice compliment to the quiche. Thanks, I will use this again. Carole in Orlando