Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
This recipe is courtesy of Z'Tejas Restaurant.
- 5 (7 ounce) catfish fillets
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 4 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 3 tablespoons fresh ground pepper
- vegetable oil, for frying
- 3 1⁄2 cups mayonnaise
- 1 3⁄4 tablespoons chipotle peppers, canned
- 1 ounce cilantro (chopped)
- 1⁄4 tablespoon Tabasco sauce
- 1⁄4 tablespoon fresh garlic (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon jalapeno pepper, de-stemmed and then roughly chopped
- 1⁄4 tablespoon blackening seasoning
- In a large bowl, combine eggs and buttermilk, mixing until combined. In a second bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, salt and pepper.
- Dip catfish fillet in buttermilk mixture. Then dip in cornmeal mix, making sure the fillet is totally coated. Place on a piece of wax paper and repeat with remaining fillets.
- Pour 1/4 inch of oil into a pan and heat. Place catfish fillets in hot oil and cook each side for 3 to 4 minutes or until the coating is golden brown and the inside looks done.
- In a bowl, combine all the ingredients for the jalapeno mayonnaise. Mix until smooth.
- Serve fillets with the mayonnaise on the side.