1/1 Photo of Crunchy Macadamia Nut Chicken over Tropical Fruit Paella
1 hr 45 mins
This is a Hawaiian variation of your typical fried chicken. The coating is so good with the macadamia nuts! I have adapted this recipe from the Hali'imaile General Store Cookbook. This is one of Maui's most celebrated restaurants. The rice is amazing and, in my opinion, well worth the time. The mango chutney actually reminds me of an ambrosia taste.The recipe includes a lot of steps and is somewhat time-intensive. Make it on a day when you have the time to enjoy your time cooking. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
Tropical Fruit Paella
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 lemongrass, stalk pounded
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons ginger, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 tablespoons green onions, chopped, white parts only
- 1/2 cup water chestnut, chopped
- 1/2 small pineapple, peeled and diced (you could use canned and then dice)
- 1 mango, pitted, peeled and diced
- 1 papaya, seeded, peeled and diced
Pineapple Chutney Dipping Sauce
- 1 cup mango chutney
- 1/2 cup pineapple, diced (again, you could use canned and then dice)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise (I use Hellmans)
- 1 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
- 3/4 cup macadamia nuts
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (about 6 oz each)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted (depending on the size of your chicken breasts, you may need more. This amount was enough for us)
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1Tropical Fruit Paella:.
- 2Put the rice in a sieve and rinse under cold running water until the water runs clear. Drain well. In a saucepan, heat 2 Tablespoons of the olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and sautee for about 3 minutes, until soft. Add the rice, lemongrass and salt and stir well. Add the stock, stir, cover and cook for 12 to 14 minutes over medium heat until the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed. Remove and discard the lemongrass.
- 3Meanwhile, in a skillet, heat the remaining 2 Tablespoons of oil over medium-high heat. Add the ginger and garlic and sautee for 4 to 5 minutes. Add the bell pepper, green onion, water chestnuts, and all the fruits and saute lightly for about 2 minutes, until heated through. Add this mixture to the rice and toss to combine. Keep warm until serving time.
- 4Pineapple Chutney Dipping Sauce:.
- 5Combine all of the ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Set aside.
- 7Put the rolled oats in a food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Transfer to a bowl. Put the macadamia nuts in the food processor and pulse until finely chopped but not stuck together. Add the nuts to the oatmeal and mix well. Add the flour, thyme and Parmesan cheese and mix well again. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- 8Dip the chicken breasts into the melted butter. Dredge the breasts in the oats mixture until they are well coated.
- 9In a large skillet, heat the canola oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken breasts skin side down and fry, turning once, for about 4 minutes on each side, until crispy and brown and cooked through. Transfer to paper towels to drain.
- 10To Serve:.
- 11Put a spoonful of the paella in the center of each plate and top with a chicken breast. Serve with the dipping sauce alongside.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crunchy Macadamia Nut Chicken over Tropical Fruit Paella
Serving Size: 1 (927 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1442.5
- Calories from Fat 784
- Total Fat 87.1 g
- Saturated Fat 24.0 g
- Cholesterol 149.9 mg
- Sodium 1025.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 132.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 14.5 g
- Sugars 48.9 g
- Protein 41.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: