Recipe by Manda
This salad makes a nice, light lunch when served over top of lettuce greens. It also makes a nice salad filling for pita bread. One of my summer favorites! Prep and cooking times do not include time to cook chicken.
Top Review by carylynn
I attended a luncheon with Lisa Welchel the other day in the little town of San Saba, Tx. A chicken salad was served, a very different chicken salad. It was so yummy and I came home to try and find a recipe that I thought had all the elements that the one at the luncheon contained. This is the recipe that I came across. I did not have any lemon juice or celery, so I used lemon pepper without salt and left out the celery. Next time I will have the celery and lemon juice on hand! I also used a smoked chicken breast that my hubby had smoked for me last night, and so I mixed all the ingredients together first and added to my diced chicken breast until I thought it was a good consistency and so I had left over mixture. I used this to make pea salad-YUMMY!! This is a great change to the normal chicken salad that I make, and even the regular fuit and nut chicken salald. My 2 year old will not eat chicken, she only eats Panda Express orange chicken(i know, very strange child that doesn't like chicken nuggets!) and she LOVED this! Great Recipe!
- 2 cups cooked chicken, cubed
- 1 (8 ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1⁄2 cup diced celery
- 1⁄2 cup nonfat sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup fat-free mayonnaise or 1⁄2 cup salad dressing
- 1 teaspoon curry powder (more or less to taste)
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 dash garlic powder
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- 4 ounces lbs green seedless grapes, halved lengthwise
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix together chicken, water chestnuts, and celery.
- Blend together sour cream, mayonnaise, curry powder, soy sauce, lemon juice, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Pour over chicken mixture and mix to combine.
- Stir in grapes.
- Chill at least 2 hours before serving.