Recipe by KLHquilts
Taken and adapted from Jeanne Lemlin's "Quick Vegetarian Pleasures" -- a superb cookbook that should be in every kitchen! This salad is so much more yummy than you might think from the list of in gredients ....
Top Review by ddgattina
Love this salad, great to have in the fridge for quick meals. I agree about the baby beluga/ black lentils-- they are perfect for this. Colors are festive, and the black lentils hold their shape so well. Trader Joes has excellent precooked baby belugas which make the recipe even faster & easier. After letting the salad marinate overnight in the fridge, I corrected the seasoning with lots more lemon juice and more cumin. I would never had thought to use cumin, but it's PERFECT and brings the whole dish together. Great salad, looks festive over baby greens. Now a staple!
- 1 cup lentils, rinsed
- 5 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 celery ribs, finely diced
- 1 carrot, finely diced
- 1⁄2 cup red onion, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil (garlic-infused is great)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (fresh is best)
- 3 -5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 -2 teaspoon salt
- ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine lentils, water and bay leaf in saucepan. Bring to a boil and cook, uncovered for 15 minutes (or until lentils are tender but crunchy). Drain thoroughly.
- Mix lentils with minced celery, carrot, onion and parsley. NOTE: This salad is much better if you make sure all vegetables are finely diced; the flavors blend much better than if you've used a regular-to-large dice.
- Mix the dressing: Mix olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, thyme, cumin, salt and pepper. Pour over lentils and toss.
- You can serve this right away, but the flavors blend beautifully if you refrigerate for a day or two. Serve at room temperature.