Recipe by Sharon123
Adapted from a recipe from the Hazelnut Council! A little hazelnut history: Hazelnuts have been a part of the diet for 5000 years. Ancient lore has it that hazelnuts held the cure for everything from baldness to tummy aches. A manuscript found in China that dates back to 2,838 B.C. mentions hazelnuts as one of the “five sacred nourishments” bestowed on humans. In Roman legend, the god Mercury carried a staff made of a filbert tree. Others believe that the term filbert came from the nut’s long husk being referred to as a “full beard” in Old English.
- 1 lb romaine lettuce, washed and torn
- 8 ounces spinach leaves, washed and torn (or arugala)
- 8 ounces radicchio, leaves washed and torn
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced into thin strips
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced into thin strips
- 1⁄2 cup jicama, peeled and diced (or sliced water chestnuts cut in slivers)
Ginger Hazelnut Dressing
- 3⁄4 cup hazelnut oil (or walnut oil)
- 1⁄4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 7⁄8 teaspoon lemon juice (3/4 tsp plus 1/8 tsp)
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons ginger, ground
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
Crunchy Caramelized Hazelnuts
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 lb hazelnuts, shelled, toasted and coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup corn syrup
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Caramelized Hazelnuts:.
- Preheat the oven to 300*F. Melt butter in 11x17-inch jelly-roll pan, set aside. Place hazelnuts in large bowl, set aside.
- Stir corn syrup, brown sugar and salt in small saucepan until blended. Bring to boil over medium high heat, stirring constantly. Boil 3 minutes; don't stir while boiling. Stir in butter and boil 1 minute. Immediately pour over nuts. Stir until coated.
- Spread nuts into buttered 11x17-inch jelly roll pan. Bake at 300*F 30 minutes, stirring every 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from oven and cool completely. When cool, break into pieces.
- Ginger Hazelnut Dressing:.
- Place all ingredients in small bowl. Whisk until thoroughly blended.
- Hazelnut Salad:.
- Place salad greens and vegetables into a large bowl. Pour salad dressing over greens, toss until blended. Sprinkle 2 cups of the caramelized hazelnuts over salad. Serve immediately.