I love those nature's valley crunchy granola bars and I also like those sweet and salty granola bars as well as fruit granola bars! But notice how you can't seem to get everything you want in a granola bar without sacrificing the healthy aspects. Anyhow, I adapted this recipe from one off a blog I stumbled across (http://katescreativekitchen.blogspot.com/2009/03/sweet-and-salty-granola-bars.html--she has other good recipes to offer also!).
- 3 cups oats, toasted (I use the quick-cooking kind)
- 1 cup nuts (almonds, peanuts, walnuts, pecans, whatever!)
- 1 cup dried fruit (raisins, dried cranberries, etc. or chocolate chips!)
- 1⁄2 cup pretzel
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup peanut butter, melted
- 1⁄3 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄3 cup honey
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- To toast oats spread them on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake at 350F for 10-15 minutes or until just golden.
- Mix all ingredients.
- Firmly press into a cookie sheet or jellyroll pan lined with grease parchment paper.
- Bake at 350F for 15-20 minutes.
- Cool completely and cut.