Prep 30 mins
Cook 12 mins
These make a hard, crunchy cooky that's good for dipping in coffee or tea. My mom would make a "sandwich" with a piece of Schwartzbrot, butter and a gingerbread cookie.
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 cup molasses, unsulphered
- 1 egg
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon clove
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. (after chilling dough).
- Cream shortening, sugar and molasses.
- Add egg and beat.
- Sift flour with other dry ingredients.
- Gradually add these into wet ingredients.
- Chill dough for 1 1/2 hours (or more).
- Cut into shapes, place on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned.
Delicious gingerbread cookies - perfect combination of spices. I couldn't wait to dunk one of them into my afternoon coffee. I tried to find my gingerbread man cookie cutter to no avail, so I cut them out as stars. The recipe didn't specify a temperature so I cooked them at 350 degrees and for a little less time as my oven cooks a little hotter than normal. Made for the Football Pool tag game - Congrats on your win!