Prep 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
The original recipe was from Super Food Ideas and called for tuna and due to an aversion for parmesan cheese from certain family members I substituted all cheddar and I also added some shredded spinach and we enjoyed with a salad and garlic bread. The original recipe has it down for 4 serves but I think 6 to 8 would be closer the mark. With using salmon I don't remove skin and bones but do so if you wish. Though the recipe called for 375 gram packet of lasagne sheets (8 sheets), I only used 4 1/2 sheets in my dish.
- 375 g lasagna sheets (packet fresh)
- 425 g red salmon (drained, break up)
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup spinach (shredded)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
Creamy White Sauce
- 80 g butter
- 1⁄3 cup plain flour (all purpose)
- 1 liter milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups cheddar cheese (grated)
Crunchy Garlic Crumb
- 3 slices white bread (crusts removed, chopped or torn)
- 30 g butter (melted)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1⁄4 cup cheddar cheese (grated)
- 2 tablespoons parsley (chopped)
- Preheat oven to 180C/160C fan forced.
- Place the lasagne sheets on a microwave safe plate and microwave on high (100%) for 1 minute (this helps to separate the sheets more easily before using).
- Combine salmon, peas, spinach and lemon juice in a bowl and then set aside.
- Make creamy white sauce - melt the butter in a saucepan over medium high heat and then add flour and cook, stirring for 2 minutes or until mixture is bubbling.
- Gradually stir in the milk (I use a whisk at this stage) whisking until smooth (then I swap to a wooden spoon), stirring for about 5 minutes or until sauce thicken.
- Remove from the heat and stir in cheddar cheese and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Lightly grease a 6 cup capacity ovenproof dish and place lasagne sheets over the base of the prepared dish, trimming to fit.
- Spoon 1/4 of the white sauce over sheets, spreading with the back of a spoon and top with 1/3 of the tuna mixture and then repeat layers twice more finishing with remaining lasagne sheets and shite sauce and the cover with baking paper and then foil and bake for 25 minutes or until heated through.
- Meanwhile, make crunchy garlic crumb - combine all ingredients in a bowl.
- Remove foil and paper from lasagne and sprinkle with crumb mixture and chopped parsley and then bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until golden and then stand for 5 minutes and then serve.