Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Adapted from a recipe from Mollie Katzen's 'Salad People'. I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds like a good recipe. It's a little different from the scores of other granola recipes already here. Time doesn't include cooling time.
- 709.77 ml rolled oats
- 295.73 ml nuts, chopped (such as almonds, cashews, and hazelnuts)
- 118.29 ml sunflower seeds
- 59.14 ml flax seed
- 2.46 ml salt (omit if using salted nuts) (optional)
- 78.07 ml brown sugar
- 177.44 ml canola oil
- 118.29 ml honey
- 14.79 ml vanilla extract
- 236.59 ml assorted dried fruit (such as raisins, dried tropical fruit mix, and dried berries)
- Preheat the oven to 325°F Spray two rimmed baking sheets with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl mix together the oats, seeds, nuts, salt (if desired), and brown sugar.
- Combine the oil, honey, and vanilla extract and pour over the oat mixture. Mix thoroughly.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, stirring several times to ensure even toasting. If both trays don't fit on one rack, switch the trays' positions after 15 minutes. Allow granola to cool in trays.
- When the granola is cool, place it in a bowl and stir in the fruit. Store in an air-tight canister on the counter. If there is any left that won't fit, store it in a ziplock bag or jar in the freezer.
Granolas are so great, & this one is, too ~ It's a winner! I like it with a variety of nuts, & here the flax seed was a nice addition! Great over hot cereal or cold cottage cheese or topped with a goodly amount of soft (or frozen) vanilla yogurt! A recipe worth keeping! [Tagged, made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in the current Pick-A-Chef]