Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
I've guessed on cook time here. These are the crunchiest shrimp I've had outside of a restaurant! This makes alot, but if you are going to make these you may as well go all out!! Everyone loves them! These have received so many mixed reviews that I thought maybe I should mention that I deep fry them in a Presto Fry Daddy and not very many at a time. I never said they were easy...and I get better each time I do it. Thanks for giving them so much attention!
- 2 lbs peeled jumbo shrimp
- Crisco shortening, melted in deep fryer (till full by manufacturer standards)
- 2⁄3 cup flour
- 1 1⁄3 cups cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 6 egg whites
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- corn flake crumbs
- In a medium bowl, stir flour, cornstarch, salt, baking powder, egg whites, water and oil together with a whisk.
- Pour out a liberal amount of cornflake crumbs on a dinner plate.
- Roll each shrimp well into batter mixture and quickly roll in cornflake crumbs.
- Deep fry shrimp about 7 at a time till golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Serve with cocktail and/or tartar sauce.
Awesome shrimp!!! I followed the reviews and used panko crumbs and a little old bay seasoning.
Amazingly delicious! We have a new indoor electric fryer and we've been trying out various items in it. These shrimp have been one of the best things we've done so far. We used panko breadcrumbs, but made the batter as directed.
These were so nice and crunchy. My DH said he really did like them. This is a keeper for sure. Thanks for posting this recipe.