1/12 Photos of Crunchy Farmhouse Bread
3 hrs 45 mins
wicked cook 46's Note:
From Canadian living . Have not made yet and times are approximate I have also included direactions for using an ABM Makes one loaf
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons liquid honey
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (approx)
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup natural bran
- 1/4 cup millet or 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1In large bowl, dissolve sugar in warm water. Sprinkle in yeast; let stand for 10 minutes or until frothy. Whisk in honey, butter and egg. With wooden spoon, stir in 2 cups (500 mL) of the all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, oats, cornmeal, bran, millet and salt until smooth. Gradually stir in enough of the remaining flour to form slightly sticky dough.
- 2Turn out onto floured surface; knead for 8 to 10 minutes or until smooth and elastic, dusting with as much of the remaining flour as necessary to prevent sticking. Place in greased bowl, turning to grease all over. Cover with plastic wrap; let rise in warm draft-free place until doubled in bulk, 1-1/2 hours.
- 3Punch down dough; turn out onto lightly floured surface. Knead into round loaf, stretching dough down all around and pinching underneath to shape. Dust top with flour; place on greased baking sheet. Cover with clean towel; let rise until doubled in bulk, 45 to 60 minutes.
- 4Using serrated knife, slash shallow grid pattern on top of loaf. Bake in centre of 375°F (190°C) oven for 45 minutes or until golden brown and loaf sounds hollow when tapped on bottom. Remove from pan; let cool on rack.
- 5Additional Information.
- 6Bread Machine Crunchy Farmhouse Bread: Choose whole grain setting; let baked loaf cool on rack.
- 7Bread Machine Fill-Up.
- 8The order of ingredients going into the bread machine differs from the handmade method. Generally, the machine should be filled as follows, unless, of course, the manufacturer's instructions say otherwise.
- 9Into pan of 2-lb (1 kg) bread machine, add (in order) wet ingredients such as water, milk, buttermilk, oil, butter, egg, yogurt, honey and syrup. Then add any sugar and salt. Next add dry ingredients such as flour, bran, oats, seeds, cornmeal and millet. Sprinkle yeast over top, without letting yeast touch liquid. Choose appropriate setting.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crunchy Farmhouse Bread
Serving Size: 1 (37 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 95.6
- Calories from Fat 14
- Total Fat 1.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 11.3 mg
- Sodium 109.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 1.7 g
- Protein 2.8 g