Prep 23 mins
Cook 12 mins
Shredded sauteed cabbage can be subbed for the bean sprouts.
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 8 ounces ground beef or 8 ounces ground turkey
- 1 cup finely shredded carrot
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 3 cups bean sprouts (see note below) or 3 cups shredded cabbage (see note below)
- vegetable oil (for deep frying)
- 12 egg roll wraps
- Saute the onion in 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until tender. Add ground beef, carrots, soy sauce and garlic salt. Cook, stirring frequently, until ground beef is browned and crumbly, about 8 minutes; drain. Stir in bean sprouts OR cabbage.** Let stand to cool.
- **For shredded cabbage: Using the large holed side of a grater, shred enough green cabbage to yield about 3 cups. Combine the cabbage, a small amount of salt and vegetable oil in a skillet. Cover the skillet and cook the cabbage, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Preheat vegetable oil for deep frying in a deep fryer to 375*.
- Spoon about 1 tablespoonful of ground beef mixture diagonally onto each egg roll wrapper.
- Fold in the bottom and side corners to enclose filling. Moisten top corner with water. Fold top corner down, pressing seam to seal.
- Deep fry egg rolls 3 at a time until golden brown, about 3 minutes per batch; drain. Serve hot with plum sauce or mustard.