Sometimes I want to pickle, but do not want to make enough to can. I like to make them by the jar. This recipe is modified from one found in "Better Homes and Gardens, Can It!" It is really simple and full of dill flavor even though it requires no fresh dill!
- Remove stems and blossom ends of cucumbers, then slice crosswise into 1/4- to 1/2-inch slices; combine with sliced onions.
- Set a colander over a bowl and alternate layers of cucumbers/onions, and crushed ice, ending with the ice.
- Cover mixture and weight down (I used 2 small colanders in two separate bowls and stacked them).
- Refrigerate overnight or up to 24 hours (I left them about 3 days because I was busy, to no ill effects).
- Rinse and drain cucumbers and onions with cold water.
- In a heavy pot, combine water, vinegar, sugar, and salt; heat to boiling, stirring until sugar is dissolved.
- Pack cucumbers/onions into a hot, sterilized pint jar; top with dill seeds.
- Pour hot liquid over cucumbers to cover.
- Let cool, then cover and store in the refrigerator.