Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Inspired by a recipe from 'Nigella Feasts', this incredibly delicious recipe also includes a fast and easy way to whip up homemade whole grain bread crumbs. A touch of cayenne pepper adds a bit of heat for those who like it...
- 4 small pork chops (fat removed)
- 1 large whole wheat pita bread (100% whole grain variety)
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
- cayenne pepper, to taste
- Make bread crumbs: Rip the whole wheat pita bread into pieces and throw into a blender or food processor. Grind until you have crumbs. Remove and pour into a flat dish. (Pie plates work great for this.) Add generous amounts of salt and freshly ground pepper, fresh parsley & a sprinkle of cayenne pepper to the bread crumbs to season.
- Make egg dip: In a small, flat dish, beat egg with dijon mustard, salt and pepper and some fresh herbs of your choosing. (I happened to have parsley on hand.).
- Prepare pork: If pork is fairly thick, pound between a piece of plastic wrap with a meat mallet or rolling pin until about half the thickness.
- Heat your pan, and then add olive oil to the bottom. Swirl around, and let the oil get nice and hot.
- Meanwhile, dip each pork chop first into the egg mixture, then into the bread crumb mixture. Place each pork chop right into the hot oil. Cook each chop until well done - about 10-14 minutes total.
- Serve hot, crispy dijon chops with a fresh side salad or other greens. Would also make a yummy filling for a sub sandwich!