Recipe by AzMelody
These chicken wings remind me of KFC Extra Crispy chicken! A crunchy outside coating makes them great with or without sauce. I serve them "naked" with sauces on the side.
Top Review by ChainsawMCF
These were the best homemade chicken wings I've ever made. The double coating of egg and flour really makes the difference. I used all-purpose flour along with the tapioca starch and cornstarch, with http://www.food.com/recipe/kansas-city-dry-rub-52711 and they were amazing. Just to compare, I prepared a few wings with only a single coating of egg and flour mixture and the difference was night and day. They are also terrific with Wing Time mild hot wing sauce. Thanks for sharing a great recipe for one of my favorite foods! I'll definitely be making these again and often.
- 12 chicken wings, first and second parts, divided, defrosted (I buy the Kroger brand in the freezer section at Fry's)
- 2 tablespoons garfava bean flour
- 1⁄3 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄3 cup tapioca starch
- 1⁄4 cup sorghum flour
- 4 tablespoons dry rub seasonings (I use Stubbs Bar-B-Q Spice Rub)
- 1 egg
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- oil (for deep frying)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat deep fryer to 375 degrees, and oven to 250 degrees.
- Combine garfava bean flour, cornstarch, tapioca starch, sorghum flour and Stubbs seasoning in a plastic container with a lid. Shake to mix well.
- Combine egg and milk in a bowl and beat until mixed well. Put chicken in the container of flour, and shake to coat. Shake off extra flour, dip in egg mixture, then return to container of flour for another shake. Remove from flour, shake off excess, and move to plate. Continue to coat remaining pieces of chicken.
- Select largest pieces of chicken first. Dip chicken in flour one more time just prior to putting in fryer, and shake off excess flour. Fry chicken pieces for about 10 minutes, or until golden brown and juices are running clear. Do not cook all chicken at one time, or your oil will cool down too much. I cook "drummies" with "drummies" and "flatties" with "flatties".
- When finished frying, move to wire rack on cookie sheet, and put in preheated oven while frying other pieces.
- SERVING SUGGESTIONS:.
- Wings may be served "naked", with sauces (barbecue, honey mustard, hot sauce) on the side, or tossed in sauce. You could also tweak the seasonings and serve with sesame our sweet and sour sauce.