Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
A delicious Indian style fried fish fillet.
- 1 1⁄2-2 lbs skinless white fish fillets (such as cod,catfish,or perch)
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- vegetable oil, as needed (for frying)
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup chopper fresh cilantro leaves (to garnish)
- 4 lime wedges (to garnish)
- Heat over to 200 degrees.Place an ovenproof platter in it.
- Toss fish with vinegar.Combine salt,pepper,tumeric,curry powder,and cayenne pepper in a small bowl,then rub mixture onto both sides of each fillet.
- Pour at least 1/8 inch oil into a large nonstick skillet;turn heat to medium-high.
- Combine flour with enough warm water to make a batter about as thick as yogurt.
- Test oil to see if its hot enough (a pinch of flour will sizzle in it) turn heat to high.
- Dunk fillets into batter one at a time,letting excess batter run off,then place fish in pan (don't overcrowd it).
- Fry fish,rotating as necessary so fillets brown easily.
- Remove fish when golden and crisp on each side (5 to 8 minutes) keep warm on platter in oven while you cook remaining fillets.
- sprinkle cilantro over fish,serve with lime wedges.