Recipe by Missy Wright
This is a yummie alternative to an old favorite. The topping is sweet and the apples are a little tart. I posted this with a ready-to-bake pie crust, but I have found a homemade crust is always better! There are tons of apples in this pie but they cook down during baking. This is delicious topped with vanillia ice cream.
Top Review by Empress of my world
I used to make apple crumb pie every holiday until I lost my recipe. This one looked very similar to what I remembered so I gave it a try and I must say it was better than the original! Make it exactly as written and you won't go wrong
- 1 refrigerated ready-to-bake pie crust
Crunchy Crumb Topping
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour, plus
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup cold butter, cut in small pieces
- 7 large granny smith apples or 7 large pippin apples or 7 large greenings apples
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Directions See How It's Made
- Have Ready a 9-in.
- pie plate and a baking sheet.
- Place oven rack in lowest position in oven.
- Heat oven to 450.
- Line pie plate with pie crust as package directs.
- Flute or crimp edge.
- TOPPING: Mix flour, sugars and cinnamon in medium bowl.
- Cut in butter (or rub in with fingertips) until mixture forms moist, coarse crumbs that clump together easily.
- FILLING: Peel, halve and core apples.
- Cut in 1/8 inch-thick slices (or with a slicing disk of a food processor).
- Place in a large bowl, add lemon juice and toss to coat.
- Mix remaining ingredients in a small bowl, sprinkle over appl slices and toss to coat.
- Layer apple slices in pie shell, mounding them higher in center.
- Pat topping evenly over apples to form a top crust.
- Place pie on the baking sheet to catch any drips.
- Bake 15 minutes.
- Reduce oven temp to 350 and bake 45 minutes longer or until a skewer meets some resistance when center of pie is pierced (apples will continue cooking after pie is removed from oven) and topping is golden brown.
- (If topping browns too quickly, drape a piece of foil loosely over the pie).
- Cool completely on a wire rack before serving.