Recipe by Jo602
This comes from our local newspaper " Cook's Nook " A friend of mine writes this column , I'm sure she won't mind sharing.I haven't tried it yet , but it sounds interesting. Let me know. Note if using 10" pie plate instead of quiche pan , increase bread cubes to 7 cups
Top Review by Sydney Mike
Made this using a nutty, whole grain bread & the only other thing I changed was to use 2 long, skinny carrots! Otherwise made as written, using a large pie place & it was delicious to a fault! Certainly something I'd make again, as much as anything because it's so different, at least for us! [Made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in this Spring's round of Pick A Chef]
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- salt & pepper
- 6 cups cubed French bread or 6 cups Italian bread, 1/2 inch cubes
- 1⁄2 cup chicken stock
- 5 eggs
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 2 cups milk or 2 cups 10 percent cream
- 1 cup shredded old cheddar cheese
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 1⁄2 sweet red pepper, diced
Directions See How It's Made
- In skillet,melt butter over medium heat, cook onion, garlic, thyme and pinch each of salt and pepper,stirring occasionally, for 3 mins or til softened.
- Transfer to large bowl.
- Add bread cubes and toss to combine.
- Pour in chicken stock and one of the eggs, toss to coat to coat well.
- Gently pat mixture evenly onto bottom and side of greased 10" quiche pan to form shell.
- Bake at 425F for 10 mins or until light golden.
- Meanwhile, in pot of boiling water,cook broccoli for 2 minutes.
- Drain and refresh under cold water, drain well and pat dry with paper towel.
- In bowl, whisk remaining eggs,milk and pinch of salt and pepper, stir in broccoli, 3/4 cup cheddar, carrot and red pepper.
- pour into baked shell.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake at 375F for about 40 mins or til knife inserted in centre comes out clean.
- 6 servings.