Chef mariajane's Note:
Fresh mango mixed with lime juice and a touch of Scotch Bonnet pepper is a perfect complement to jerk-seasoned shrimp coated in shredded coconut and fried to a golden crisp. For convenience, shrimp can be prepared ahead and frozen.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
FOR THE DIP
- 2 cups mangoes, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon scotch bonnet pepper, minced
- 2 teaspoons crisco canola oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/2 cup red onions or 1/2 cup green onion, finely chopped
FOR THE SHRIMP
- 1FOR THE DIP: Place all the ingredients, except red onion into a food processor and pulse until almost smooth. Mix in red onion, place in a small serving bowl and set aside.
- 2FOR THE SHRIMP: Melt enough shortening to equal 2-inches in a deep frying pan, Heat to 350°F.
- 3In a shallow bowl, combine flour, cornstarch and jerk seasoning.
- 4Pour coconut milk into a second bowl.
- 5In a third bowl, or shallow plate, combine the crushed shredded wheat and flaked coconut.
- 6Lay out cooling racks and place waxed paper underneath them to catch drippings.
- 7Working in assembly-line fashion, hold each shrimp by the tail, coat with the flour mixture dip in the coconut milk and coat with the crushed wheat/coconut mixture. Place shrimp on a rack and repeat process until all shrimp are coated.
- 8Fry 8 or 10 shrimp at a time, for 1-2 minutes or until golden and crispy. Bring oil back to 350F before frying next batch.
- 9As each batch finishes, drain shrimp on a paper towel, before transferring to a serving platter.
- 10Serve hot or warm.
- 11TIPS: Shrimp may be prepared in advance and frozen for up to 2 weeks. To serve, defrost slightly and recrisp in a 375F oven.
Browse Our Top < 15 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crunchy Coconut Shrimp With Mango Dip
Serving Size: 1 (1536 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 80.5
- Calories from Fat 24
- Total Fat 2.7 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 19.7 mg
- Sodium 42.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 2.4 g
- Protein 3.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: