Recipe by Melvin'sWifey
This is the easiest, most delicious fried chicken I've ever tasted. It is so tender, full of flavor, and it's very simple to prepare! See if you can eat this fried chicken without first peeling off and eating the crunchy skin! This is best served with Frances's Old Fashioned Collard Greens.
Top Review by TasteTester
You sure were right about the delicious skin. It was really tasty and crunchy, and the chicken turned out nice and moist on the inside. I fried the chicken in batches, and after I had finished the first one my husband grabbed a piece, ate it, and said it was terrific; the only problem was keeping him from taking any more chicken until it I had fried it all. This is a great recipe, MW. Thanks for sharing!
- 1 cup vegetable oil (for frying)
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 lbs chicken pieces
- 1 1⁄2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 ounce Italian salad dressing mix (small packet)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium high heat.
- Combine chicken pieces, egg, salt, pepper, and milk in large ziploc bag. Shake to combine, and set aside.
- In another large ziplock bag (or a plastic grocery sack with no holes) combine cornmeal, flour, italian dressing mix, and cayenne pepper. Shake to combine.
- 1-3 pieces at a time, remove chicken pieces from egg mix and place chicken pieces in the cormeal mix and shake to completely cover all chicken pieces. Take out coated chicken pieces, put into hot oil, and repeat process 3 at a time until all pieces have been coated.
- Fry chicken pieces turning once each side is browned until chicken is cooked through and juices run clear. Drain on paper towels.