Recipe by tigerduck
A lovely crunchy salad which takes a bit more time than a simple cucumber salad, but it's really worth it! Goes well as a starter or a side dish with a chinese meal. Cooking time includes leaving the cucumbers in salted water for 20 minutes and standing time (to develop the flavour of the salad) of 2 hours.
- 1 teaspoon cooking oil
- 1 big mild chili pepper, deseeded, sliced into rings (or a small hot chilli finely chopped)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons dark rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon white wine
- 1⁄2 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- 1 cucumber (ca 350g/12ounces, unpeeled)
- 150 ml hot water
- 1⁄2 tablespoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Preparation of cucumber:.
- Half washed but unpeeled cucumber lengthwise. Remove the seeds with a spoon and discard. Slice into ca 1/2 cm / 1/5 inch pieces. Put into a bowl.
- Mix hot water and salt and pour it over the cucumber pieces. Leave cucumbers in water for ca 20 minutes.
- Heat oil in a medium skillet.
- Add chilli and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients of the dressing until the sesame oil. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add garlic and sesame. Cook for 1-2 minutes. Put aside.
- Finish Salad:.
- Drain the cucumber pieces (after the 20 minutes in the water) and squeeze them slightly. Mix with the dressing (I do this in the skillet and put salad afterwards into a bowl) and leave the salad for 2 hours to develop its flavour.
- Serve as a starter or as a side dish to a chinese meal.