1/1 Photo of Crunchy Chinese Cucumber Salad
2 hrs 40 mins
2 hrs 25 mins
A lovely crunchy salad which takes a bit more time than a simple cucumber salad, but it's really worth it! Goes well as a starter or a side dish with a chinese meal. Cooking time includes leaving the cucumbers in salted water for 20 minutes and standing time (to develop the flavour of the salad) of 2 hours.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 teaspoon cooking oil
- 1 big mild chili pepper, deseeded, sliced into rings (or a small hot chilli finely chopped)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons dark rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon white wine
- 1/2 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- 1Preparation of cucumber:.
- 2Half washed but unpeeled cucumber lengthwise. Remove the seeds with a spoon and discard. Slice into ca 1/2 cm / 1/5 inch pieces. Put into a bowl.
- 3Mix hot water and salt and pour it over the cucumber pieces. Leave cucumbers in water for ca 20 minutes.
- 5Heat oil in a medium skillet.
- 6Add chilli and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- 7Add the remaining ingredients of the dressing until the sesame oil. Cook for 2 minutes.
- 8Add garlic and sesame. Cook for 1-2 minutes. Put aside.
- 9Finish Salad:.
- 10Drain the cucumber pieces (after the 20 minutes in the water) and squeeze them slightly. Mix with the dressing (I do this in the skillet and put salad afterwards into a bowl) and leave the salad for 2 hours to develop its flavour.
- 11Serve as a starter or as a side dish to a chinese meal.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crunchy Chinese Cucumber Salad
Serving Size: 1 (147 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 152.0
- Calories from Fat 68
- Total Fat 7.6 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 2255.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 13.3 g
- Protein 3.0 g