Prep 40 mins
Cook 40 mins
A comfort food casserole with a crunchy topping.
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cubed
- 1 medium leek, washed well, patted dry, and cut into pieces
- 1 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup frozen green pea
- 2 cups sour cream
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup soft breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon, crumbled
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a skillet, melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat; add in chicken; brown until just golden on all sides, 5-6 minutes.
- Add in leek; cook/stir until softened, 5 minutes.
- Add in mushrooms and peas; stir until peas have thawed, about 3 minutes.
- Add in sour cream and mustard; season to taste with salt and pepper; stir well; remove from heat.
- Transfer mixture to a greased 1 ½ to 2 quart casserole.
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour, oats, and the remaining ¼ cup butter; work with a fork (or pastry blender) until the mixture is mealy.
- Add in bread crumbs, cheese, and tarragon; stir until well blended.
- Spoon evenly over chicken mixture; bake 35-40 minutes, until golden brown.