Recipe by Layersofflavor
A.1. Original Sauce Recipe Contest Entry. We love crispy and crunchy foods so I was on a search to make the same without frying but instead baking…Voila! The baked chicken egg roll was born. A.1. and Asian flavors blend perfectly together for the dipping sauce. As a matter of fact, double the sauce portion of this recipe because you will crave more!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of access fat
- 3 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons Chinese five spice powder, blend
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup sweet chili sauce
- 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons A.1. Original Sauce
- 1 small jalapeno, seeded and diced
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro, rough chopped, reserve 1 to 2 sprigs for garnish
- 2 tablespoons green onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons walnuts, coarsely ground
- 1 (1 lb) package frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg, beaten
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Add oil to a medium size non-stick skillet and heat over medium high until the oil starts to shimmer. While the oil heats, rub pepper, salt, 5 spice, and brown sugar on all sides of the chicken. Cook chicken on each side until brown, approximately 6 - 8 minutes. Lower the heat, cover and cook the an additional 5 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees. Remove chicken from pan, let rest, rough chop and add to a food processor.
- Blend the sweet chili sauce, hoisin sauce, A.1. Steak Sauce, jalapeno, cilantro, onions, and walnuts in a small bowl. Blend with a fork and remove 4 tablespoons to the food processor containing the chicken. Lightly pulsate mixture.
- Unfold the pastry sheets on a lightly floured surface. Cut each pastry sheet into four 5-inch squares. Spoon 1/4 cup chicken mixture on the lower third of each pastry square. Fold 2 sides over the filling and roll up like an egg roll. Place the egg rolls seam-side down onto an ungreased baking sheet. Brush the egg rolls with the egg and bake for 20 minutes or until the rolls are golden brown.
- Garnish with a few sprigs of cilantro and serve immediately with the sauce.
- Time saver tip: buy a rotisserie chicken and use it to replace the skillet chicken.
- If you like spicy flavors, add 1 minced chipotle pepper from a can of chipotle in adobo sauce to the sauce prior to serving.