Recipe by Merlot
The water chestnuts and sliced almonds gives this dish a nice "crunch". I cook the chicken and rice the day before I plan to serve. Then the next day, I just throw it all together and bake. Serve this casserole with a side dish of cooked broccoli. Makes a wonderful meal.
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken breasts
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked rice
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 3⁄4 cup mayonnaise (NOT Miracle Whip)
- 1 (8 ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained (Cut each water chestnut slice into quarters if you prefer them in smaller pieces)
- 1⁄2 cup sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoons chopped onions
- salt & pepper
- 1 tablespoon melted butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1⁄2 cup crushed corn flakes
- In a skillet, saute' the celery in butter until tender.
- Remove from heat and add the next 8 ingredients.
- Spoon into an ungreased 2 1/2 quart baking dish.
- Combine melted butter& cornflakes.
- Sprinkle on top.
- Bake 350 degrees F for 30 minutes.