Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
The water chestnuts and sliced almonds gives this dish a nice "crunch". I cook the chicken and rice the day before I plan to serve. Then the next day, I just throw it all together and bake. Serve this casserole with a side dish of cooked broccoli. Makes a wonderful meal.
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken breasts
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked rice
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 3⁄4 cup mayonnaise (NOT Miracle Whip)
- 1 (8 ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained (Cut each water chestnut slice into quarters if you prefer them in smaller pieces)
- 1⁄2 cup sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoons chopped onions
- salt & pepper
- 1 tablespoon melted butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1⁄2 cup crushed corn flakes
- In a skillet, saute' the celery in butter until tender.
- Remove from heat and add the next 8 ingredients.
- Spoon into an ungreased 2 1/2 quart baking dish.
- Combine melted butter& cornflakes.
- Sprinkle on top.
- Bake 350 degrees F for 30 minutes.
Wonderful dish! I doubled the sauce ingredients (mayo, cream of chicken soup and lemon) as suggested and chopped up the water chestnuts. This recipes deserves 5 stars.
Melissa Bell - If you prefer more sauce in this dish, I see no reason why you cannot increase the amount of Cream of Chicken Soup and mayo. Also, the water chestnut slices can be halved or quartered, depending on preference. I do not doubt that you had trouble "spreading" the corn flake/butter mixture. It should have been "sprinkled" over the top of the dish. Hope this helps if you make it again. :-)
This tasted good, but a little dry. I had a hard time spreading the corn flake butter mix evenly. If I make it again I won't add the water chestnuts.