Recipe by Bobbie
I made this casserole dish more times than I can count. I found it about 30 years ago. It's a great standby dish to serve at baby showers, wedding showers, etc. since it can be assembled ahead of time and refrigerated until ready to bake.
- 1 roasting chicken, roasted in oven in a covered pan. Skin, bone and cut into bite size pieces. Save stock
- chicken piece
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup chopped cashews
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup mayonnaise (do not use non-fat or low-fat)
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup chicken stock (left over from roasting chicken)
- crushed potato chips (I prefer fresh bread crumbs tossed with butter)
Directions See How It's Made
- Add the mayonnaise mixture to combined chicken ingredients. Turn into a very lightly greased 9x13 baking dish. Top with 2 cups crushed potato chips (or bread crumbs). Bake at 450 for 20 minutes or until hot and bubbly throughout. Serves 10-12.
- ï¿½ Chicken Stock ï¿½ I usually put the stock in the refrigerator to let the fat rise to the top and skim it off ï¿½ then use whatï¿½s left to make my ½ cup.
- Note #1: I add a can/jar of sliced mushrooms.
- Note #2: Sometimes I place the mixture in a casserole dish instead of the baking dish. If the casserole dish is deeper ï¿½ you may need to lower the temperature and extend the baking time.
- Preparation time does not include the time to roast the chicken.
- You can use a roasted chicken from the grocery store. If you do that, just use some canned chicken broth in place of the stock from the roasted chicken.