Recipe by STK FD WIFE, A.TITUS
This is the 2001 Apple Pie recipe, won by Marsha Brooks. Emeril named this pie the winner of his Apple Pie of his eye contest on Good Morning America.
Top Review by Lutie
This is an excellent recipe, but one step was left out. The original 2001 pie recipe for Emeril's contest, as shown on the GMA website, has another step. When you take the pie out of the oven, you are to drizzle 1/4 cup of caramel ice cream topping or caramel sauce and 1/2 cup of chopped pecans. This was confusing when looking at the posted recipe on the site, as you had to read through it several times. The caramel at the end is what gives the name to the recipe.
- 1 9-inch deep dish pie crust (homemade or store-bought)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups thinly sliced peeled apples (You may need more if your family sits by the bowl and sneaks the)
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1⁄2 cup butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Directions for Crumb Topping: Stir together brown sugar,flour, rolled oats.
- Cut in 1/2 cup butter until topping is like course crumbs.
- Set aside.
- Directions: In a large mixing bowl, stir together the sugar, flour, cinnamon and salt.
- Add apple slices and gently toss until coated.
- Transfer apple mixture to the pie shell Sprinkle crumb topping over apple mixture.
- Place pie on a cookie sheet so the drippings don't drop into your oven.
- Cover edges of pie with aluminum foil.
- Bake in a preheated 375F oven for 25 minutes.
- Then remove foil and put back in for another 25 to 30 minutes without foil.