Recipe by CarolAnn
This is the most wonderful apple pie recipe! It was the winner of Emeril's contest for the best apple pie on Good Morning America in 2001. Absolutely mouthwatering!
for the Pie
- 9 inches deep dish pie shells (homemade or store bought)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups golden delicious apples, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- 1⁄4 cup caramel sauce (store bought)
for crumb topping
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1⁄2 cup butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Prepare the crumb topping first by combining the sugar flour and rolled oats in a bowl.
- Cut in the 1/2 cup of butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs and set aside.
- For the pie, stir together the sugar, flour, cinnamon and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Add apple slices and toss gently until coated.
- Transfer the apple mixture to the pie shell.
- (If using a store bought pie shell, remove it from the aluminum pie plate and transfer it to a 9" pie plate of your own-- it looks better!) Sprinkle crumb topping over apple mixture.
- Cover edges of pie with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 25 minutes, then remove foil and bake another 25 to 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with chopped pecans and drizzle with caramel sauce.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Can be served warm or at room temperature.