Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A friend gave me this recipe when I got a 36lb box of apples from Bountiful Baskets. This is, hands down, the best apple pie I have ever made or eaten. I have made this recipe with Gala and Granny Smith apples, and it worked out great with both types.
- mix apple slices, lemon juice, sugar, 4 tbsp flour and 1/4 tsp salt in a large bowl.
- in a separate bowl, cut the butter into 1/2 cup flour.
- mix brown sugar, oats, and 1/4 tsp salt into the butter/flour mixture.
- layer apples in pie crust and top with crumb topping.
- cover the edges of the pie crust with a thin strip of aluminum foil and bake in a 375 degree oven for 25 minutes.
- remove the foil and bake for another 30 minutes.
- sprinkle chopped pecans on top of the crumble topping during the last 5 minutes of baking time.
- while the pie cools, drizzle caramel topping (about 1/2 jar) over the top.